Sunday, August 28, 2011

My Biggest Obstacle in My Personal Development Plan

We all have areas that set us back in our personal development journey. I like everyone else have more than one self sabotaging habit, but my TV viewing seems to be by far my most negative habit that is stopping me from reaching my goals. Habits developed over a long period of time are hard to break, but not impossible. My TV habit has been developed over a 30 year period so it will definitely be a hard habit too break. To achieve anything you have to give something up so my first step is going to be to cut my viewing down to no more than 3 hours a day. I know you probably just read that last statement and thought 3 hours a day is a lot, and you would be right. Over the course of a week that would be almost one full day of TV watching. However if check you will probably see that you are watching more than 3 hours a day. A lot of people will come home from work and turn on the TV around 5pm and turn it off around 10 or 11 at night. I am no math major but that certainly adds up to more than 3 hours daily and that  does not include weekends. For my personal development plan to work I will have to conquer this bad habit, when you give something up you will need to have something to replace it with. Below are some of the things I plan to do to replace TV time:

  1. Spend more time with my family.
  2. Take courses in areas that I would like to improve in my life.
  3. Go for an evening walk or run.
  4. Lift weights.
  5. Write articles for my web site.
  6. Read personal development books.
I will update you in the future of my progress. In the meantime take the time to find out what habits you constantly participate in that are holding you back and take action to overcome them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment